Saturday, January 12, 2008

Crash Report : Align T-Rex 450SE V2 #2


I went for almost a month without a single major crash and in the last week I've crashed two birds pretty badly. Last week it was the Belt CP and today, sadly, it was an Align T-Rex 450SE V2, my silver one.

As you can see from the photographs the damage was not extreme and no parts of the CNC head assembly were broken or damaged.

Damage Included:

  • Flybar (bent 75 degrees)
  • Main Rotor Blades (both cracked badly)
  • Feathering Shaft (bent 10 degrees)
  • Main Gear (cracked)
  • Main shaft (bent 1-2 degree)
One of the HS-65MG servo arms cracked as well and the ball-link screw was thrown from the crash (not recovered.)

The servo was not damaged in the crash (no servos were) which is nice.

Regarding the servo with the cracked arm I am curious if having the nut on the screw to hold the servo ball-link (which I was not using on this T-Rex) would have made the damage transfer into the servo itself. The way it was set up the ball-link gave and that was that.

The loss of the main blades is unfortunate but seemingly impossible to avoid with low-weight Carbon Fiber Main Rotor Blades no matter what brand you use. Wood blades are much more durable (partially from running lower headspeeds with them I think.)

Anyway, the crash cost less than $50 and I had it back up in the air flying great in about two hours.

While no one likes to crash this did give me the "opportunity" to check everything on the head for locktight and proper assembly. After some more test flights I think I will take V2 #2 into idle-up mode tomorrow and see just how well I did with my rebuild.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just found your post. I was looking for a "crash cost comparison" between the T-Rex models.

I have a T-Rex 600e and crashed it fairly hard recently. Damage included blades, flybars, tailboom, main gear, canopy, landing gear, bottom frame bracket, servo arm and (ugh!) speed controller.

Totals came to:

Carbon blades: $80

Canopy: $40 (stock) I got a CanopyFX custom for $100

Speed controller: $80

Tail boom, main gear, frame bracket, flybar, landing gear other small misc heli parts: $50

Approached $350. Ouch! Now I'm nervous to fly it!

Sam Huang said...

Hey its really nice
Thanks for sharing this
Let us get you started with RC hobbies. online source for RC helicopter, Radio Remote Controlled Helicoptor toys and Esky RC Helicopter