Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Align T-Rex 450SE V2 -- Tail Rebuild

I have just yesterday completed a rebuild of the tail (everything on the boom) on my Align T-Rex 450SE V2. I purchased this as a used heli from http://www.runryder.com/, it would have been a good deal but the guy who sold it to me had no maintenance skills worth mentioning (sorry dude, it is true.)

Anyway, long story short, when I bought it the tail was one of the parts I thought I could salvage. I put it down on the long-term-needs-replacing list but on my 20th flight on the bird the tail actually disintegrated (nearly) during take-off. The tail rotor shaft bent during spool up, causing a tail-blade to tail-boom strike and damage to the carbon stabilizer fins.

As you can imagine this type of impact is deadly to the tail blades, tail drive belt, carbon fiber tail boom, ect. The entire thing needed to be torn down and rebuilt. Unsure going into the project what state the interiors, threads and condition of the V2 tail case, I assumed I would need all new parts.

Here is what I ended up buying:

No comments: